Most often a food for the elite, mushrooms appear again and again in fanciful tales of fairy folk, making them a perfect edible when combined with thyme. Here is a wonderful and tasty recipe for some Stuffed Mushrooms.
* 2 tablespoons butter, divided
* 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped mushroom stems
* 2 tablespoons chopped onions
* 3/4 cup bread crumbs
* 2 tablespoons cooked, crumbled bacon
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* salt and/or pepper to taste
* 1/2 Lb. large mushrooms, stems removed
* 12 small slices cheese (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over low heat and saute, the mushroom stems, green pepper, and onions until tender. Mix in the bread crumbs, bacon, thyme, salt, and pepper. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps. Place the caps on a cookie sheet. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and drizzle over the stuffed caps. Top each with a cheese slice. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: about 1 dozen
Use large cherry tomatoes instead of the mushroom caps. Substitute rosemary for thyme and add 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese to the mixture before stuffing.
Source: A Kitchen Witch’s Cookbook